Popular Posts

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Germany

So today was finally my first real day in Germany. I say real day because it is the first whole I was with Bentley and not having to worry about him, really takes a load off your shoulders knowing that your baby is safe and sound. I had an easy morning because at the Schahof, they feed him and take care of his stall. So I got to the barn around 8:45 my time and 2:45 am your time. I gave Bentley the whistle and he was right by his stall door. He was happy and very relaxed, YEA! I took him out for a nice long hand walk, which he loved and while we were hand walking the working students started to ride. A group of 3 riders came out on 3 year olds and they rode around 1 right after another on the bit and moving forward. Zorba (my 6 yr old) is going to be crying when I get home. Haha. They were mostly behaved until the canter when they got excited but all fell right in line one behind another. While I was walking Bentley around I noticed a guy a bit older than I and realized that it was Matthias Rath the new rider of Totilas. As I come walking by the ring door with Bentley he looks at me and says "Hey, I saw you the other night at the Italian place", I of course now sounding like a 12 year old girl say "oh really?" while batting my eyes. I mean come on now people HE HAS RIDDEN TOTILAS, it's allowed for me to be a dork. LOL. I was then able to watch him ride 2 horses, 1 Grand Prix and 1 small tour with his father Martin Rath. The Grand Prix horse had so much power I could barely believe it, and at the same time very light in the bridle. Hey Bentley did you see that? No, he was in his mansion of a stall sleeping of course.

       After going to the local bakery which there are like 7 in the small town of Kronberg, I finally got on Benny. At first I was only going to walk because of his trip and the stress of it all but as soon as I got out there he was like a machine. I couldn't believe it, he felt so good, supple, loose, and energetic. Is there some in the water over here? So after 15 to 20 mins of walking doing leg yields, shoulder ins, haunches ins, anything to keep his mind thinking I finally let him trot. He felt super forward, stretching and HAPPY! I did 5 mins of trot and let him quit with that. I didn't want him to over work himself and then crash. Bentley then got to eat lunch and relax again. On our way out to the cars I had the pleasure of meeting Ann Kathrin Linsenhoff, she was very nice and even asked how Bentley was after his long trip.

My dad and I went back to the barn once more before feeding to put on the morning feed and to walk Bentley again. He is used to at least an hour of turnout so it's important he gets out and walks. He was even energetic in his evening walk! I then spoke to one of the working students for a bit, Daniel, who is 17 and rides very well. He said that there are 50 horses on the property and they all belong to Ann Kathrin Linsenhoff. They do not board or take horses on for training at her barn.

Now for the Schahof. The barn we are in is about 22 stalls with yellow tiles on the walls, green bars on the stalls, and 2 giant heaters for the horses to stand under after working. The history in the barn is just amazing. Ribbons, silver bowls and plates and platters, posters, pictures, banners, everything. There is not enough time to look at everything, you can only pick a couple of things to really take in a day.

Tomorrow we pick up my mom and Lendon at the airport. Hopefully Bentley looks as good to Lendon as felt yesterday!!!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment